#EndPoliceKillings #EndEnforcedDisappearances

Flying squad cop accused of shooting man dead at night club back in court


The trial of a flying squad officer who shot a man dead in an altercation over a bottle of beer resumed on Tuesday last week after nearly two years.

Constable Edward Manjalu is accused of shooting William Mwangi dead on August 27, 2017, in Limuru town.

Reports indicate that Manjalu allegedly pumped seven bullets into Mwangi’s body outside Club U-Turn, where they had gathered with other friends to watch a football match.

The court heard that the officer who was attached at the Tigoni police station fought with Mwangi’s friends inside the club just a few minutes before the shooting.

In his defense, Manjalu told the court that he had been issued a pistol with serial number 41310679 and 14 rounds of ammunition earlier that day, but he left it in his house before proceeding to join his friends at the entertainment joint.

“I went to Limuru for food and drinks and to watch football because it was a weekend. I did not have my gun,” he said

He said that at one point in the evening, he left the table where he was seated with Mwangi and other friend to use the restroom, but upon returning, he found a commotion and decided to help the bouncers quell.

Manjalu told the court that he sustained an injury to the forehead during the commotion.

Afterwards, he left the club to head back home.

The prosecution however gave a different account, saying that the accused ran home after committing the murder, and locked himself in.

The trial began in 2017 but was delayed after the suspect failed to appear in court for nearly two years.

He was re-arrested in Kakamega after a long search, with the arresting police officers forced to shoot him after he refused to surrender.

Lawyer Edward Mbanya, who represents Mwangi’s family, told the court that Manjalu was be shot twice in the hands as police forcefully detained him.

He said the suspect locked himself in his house and refused to surrender, forcing police officers to use tear gas and forcefully remove him from the house.

On July 28, 2022, the court ruled that Manjalu had a case to answer because the prosecution had presented enough evidence to suggest that he was the one who killed Mwangi.

The prosecution and the victim’s attorney now have 21 days to file their final submissions.

The case will be mentioned on December 7.


Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp


Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp